Thursday, June 4, 2009

Cuckoo's Nest #1

Part 1 of Cuckoo’s Nest was very interesting to me. It seemed like another one of those books where you are just thrown into the middle of the action but nothing really makes sense. It starts off with Chief narrating things that go on and occur within the ward. He tends to talk about the three black attendants for a while which leads us to believe that they might play a major role in the progression of the play. I don’t really understand why Chief is the way he is. He’s not deaf but in most cases he pretends to be at least somewhat deaf to find out things about the ward.
I was honestly kind of confused at the first mention of Nurse Ratched. From reading the text I couldn’t tell if she would be a character who actually tries to ensure the safety and security of those who were in the ward, or if she knew of the actions of the aides like the black men, but refused to pay much attention or stop things that they were doing from happening.
As the story progresses we see the corruption of the mentality of some people as Chief tells us the audience of how the public relations person showcases the ward as though it is top of the line and wonderful, but you and I know that this it not the case due to earlier descriptions of just some things that take place in the beginning of the story.
I could already tell that McMurphy is going to be a character to remember. He is large in stature, laughs a lot, and is pretty rambunctious and boisterous. He kind of reminds me of myself, but I’m skinny and not really that tall. (I just related myself to a character!!!)
One thing that grabs my attention about the first part is how the Nurse and the patient sort of formed a hierarchy within the ward with the “acutes” the “chronics” the walkers and the wheelers. This establishment of a hierarchy shows that these people in the ward really did lose a connection with that of the outside world. That’s pretty sad in my opinion, because they are now limited to one another and forced (in most case) to accept a harsh the harsh reality of how they are not mentally or physically prepared to face reality (WEIRD!!!)
Aside from all of this, I believe that my buddy McMurphy might dig himself a deep hole and get on bad terms with Nurse Ratched. It seems that for everything that she says he has something rebellious to say. I personally find this amusing. Although I feel like I relate to McMurphy (not saying that I’m rude rebellious and crazy) I still think its gonna be hard to figure this guy out and what his intentions are. It seems that from his dialogue he is waaaaaay more sane than he leads people to believe. He seems very sarcastic at times. It will be very interesting to see how the play progresses seeing that you have a new character as rambunctious as McMurphy introduced to a ward where “everyone in the ward is a rabbit in a world ruled by wolves”.

No comments:

Post a Comment